Monday, January 28, 2008

1/28/08-Monday

Good morning, good afternoon, or good evening, depending on when you're reading this. I am not very familiar with blogging. In fact this will be the first time so this should be interesting.
I also am not at all familiar with experimental film, but I would like to become familiar. I found the "work" we watched today to be rather interesting. The "Buster" Keaton was of course entertaining, I have encountered him before, but the Miranda July piece was a very strange mixture of emotion. It was one of those films where the longer it goes the more your imagination runs wild. I couldnt pin down one solid emotion towards it. I felt alot of different feelings. Weird was definately one of them. I would have to say that it is the most dominant. The claustrophobic camera, the black and white security footage of a person doing very strange things almost as though she was partially labotomized, the almost programmed tone of "The Professionals" voice. These things gave it a very "planned" feel to the film. If that makes any sense.
In regards to the articles that were assigned, I really enjoyed the Bergson piece. It gave a different and easy to understand way of looking at the joke and its reason. I founf the Freud essay a little long winded, but he made some decent points.
So far the class has been interesing. I am intrigued about what is to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jacob,

Firstly, to familiarize you with blogs, remember that the blog should be utilized as a space for your discovery (that which articulates your perspective of film)- What we've screened in class, the articles you've read, and even how you connect the two, or even better, how this can affect your own work!

You start with good points but then fade away into ambiguity. For example, you state:

"the Miranda July piece was a very strange mixture of emotion. It was one of those films where the longer it goes the more your imagination runs wild. I couldnt pin down one solid emotion towards it."

Could you try to? It might help if you started with a specific point in the film; a shot, a technique, an act, and work from there to express your solidified thoughts or feelings about. Give yourself something to ground what might be trudging in your head.

You say "weird." Describe. Why was it "weird" to you? What made it that visceral experience? Was it the electronic-esque music, the professional herself? Ask yourself these questions.

Your "planned" feel notion through the claustrophobic camera makes PERFECT sense, and is a great example of points you should be making.

How can you relate the readings to the work?