Friday, March 28, 2008

Spiral Jetty

This movie was an interesting one. The composition was the thing that stuck out the most to me. I understand that he likes to work with resonance and that is obvious in this picture. One of the sections that stuck in my mind was the sequence when he would show a large dump truck moving tons of rock, then suddenly switch to a peaceful, serene image of the finished jetty. The thing that interested me though was that when he switched from the truck to the jetty, I could still hear the truck in the back of my mind. It lingered there for only a second and then was gone, but it still lingered. I want to think this was intentional, but it could be just a trick of the brain. But trick of the brain or not, it brought an interesting feel to the piece. It seemed as though it was a reminder that something so quiet and beautiful can come from ear-piercing noise and what seemed to be organized chaos in a sense. I think another message in this film is that sculpture doesn't have to always be sculpture in the traditional sense. Sculpture can be anything. From the tail end of an airliner to a spiraling mound on the shore of a salty lake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jake,

You make such interesting points and connections. Nice work.