Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Alex Bag

I definately enjoyed the video this week. I found myself laughing, but also analyzing. I was amazed at the way she could manipulate her appearence to look completely different from the previous character. The confessional section was the most impressing. She really got the speech down of each age range with the pauses and "likes" and so on. I definately felt a message in the piece, and it seemed like more than one. She seemed to be saying something to the extent of "stop whining and grow up. Stop kneeling to corporate America and tending to it's every need." Something along those lines. But it seemed thick and also extremely satirical at the same time.
I scoured Youtube for a decent video. It was very hard to come across one that was similar to Alex Bag's, but I think I was successfull.
Video.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jake,

Interesting choice of video in relation to Alex Bag's "Untitled Fall 1995." I'm glad you enjoyed her video and you make an interesting point when you mention Bag's statement "But it seemed thick and also extremely satirical at the same time." I'd like to hear more expansion on this notion. The assignment was to relate the youtube video you found to Alex Bag's work. Why did you choose this video? Consider mode of confession, level of artifice, costume, inhuman vs. human, etc. Also, composition and framing- how are these all similar/different?

Anonymous said...

One more thing: Your artist's statement was due last Friday at noon. Please post this as I can't give you your final grade otherwise.